Saturday, January 14, 2012

Big Wheel Burger | 341 Cook Street | 250.381.0050 | www.bigwheelburger.com


Double Cheeseburger
$10


My god! Could it be? The Burger Blog bringing you a fresh review of a fresh new burger joint? After all these months? Don't get too excited, I promise you this will be the same old horseshit you've grown accustomed to from these eeeeeee-lectronic pages. Shall we start?


It's clear from the multitude of comments on this blog, and the personal accounts I've been getting from friends and family, that Big Wheel isn't what people were expecting. It begs the question, what did people think they were going to get from this place?

If you read any of the pre-opening interviews with Big Wheel, or followed them on Twitter, the taste of this burger should come as no surprise. It's simple, fresh fast food that tries to clone Shake Shack and similar beloved east-coast burger stands. I couldn't say if it's a successful clone, I haven't been to Shake Shack, but Big Wheel does serve up a good, albeit predictable, bit of meat and bun.

I think the predictable nature of this joint is what has upset people. There's nothing necessarily wrong with being a predictable burger joint, sometimes it's nice to know what to expect from your burger. The problem is somehow local meat-munchers envisioned something different from a place with such high-caliber names attached to it. Would it have been nice if Big Wheel was just an outlet for crazy Pig-style specials? Maybe, but what we've ended up with is good too.

To address a couple of the commenters from this blog; no Big Wheel does not taste a thing like McDonald's, and why would you ruin a burger like this by using anything other than American Cheddar? If anything, this burger could have used more processed cheese (I am a glutton though). I will admit it's a little cheeky to serve processed cheese at a place that champions the 100 mile diet on its website.

The patty is loosely formed using beef from Vancouver's Two Rivers Meats. Two Rivers is decent stuff, but I still say Pemberton Meadows is the best B.C. beef I've ever tasted. I'm going to go ahead and recommend getting a double here, just because the bun:burger ratio on the singles didn't quite look as good. Texture and consistency is nice, due to the fact the patties are loosely formed, but don't expect to have to wipe your chin after biting into this baby--it's not quite that greasy.

The bun is soft and sweet and the special sauce is good. If you're looking for a fast food comparison, I suppose this burger is somewhere between White Spot and a Wendy's Baconator. If you're sober I'd say it's better than those, if you're drunk maybe not.

Is this a great burger? No, but it takes a lot to be a great burger. I don't know if there are even five great burgers in Victoria. Big Wheel serves a good product that I'll be happy to eat again. I understand why people are disappointed though. It's not because Big Wheel's a bad burger joint. It's because we now have three dedicated burger joints in Victoria, and I'm not sure you can say any of them serve up the best burger in town.

VERDICT: If you're looking for a new king of Victoria burgers, this ain't it. What you will get is good, fresh fast food that should easily satisfy cravings.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Wheel had so much potential. A great location but a extremely bland interior that is very unpleasing to the eye. Also the layout is far from comfy. Extreme limited menu which they dont even do all that great. I went there a second time after bubby rose was too busy and things improved the second go around. The burger was decent, not bad but not great. The fires were sub par. There is just not much too root for there as i tried to like them as i live close by. I went to fatburger the next day and i had a much better burger there with sides with a pretty cool atmosphere in there. If fatburger had big wheels location i would be there twice a week. Still pink bike reigns supreme in the burger department. Hell Big wheel is not even a top 5 burger in Victoria, prob sits around 7th.

Uday Hussein said...

Extremely bland an unpleasing to the eye..

And then I realized it was the MIRROR!! Aaaggghhhh!

robert said...

i like this blog....
New York Jobs | Careers & Recruitment at Jobscharger.com
http://www.jobscharger.com/JobState/-NewYork-.html

Largely the Truth said...

After two visits to Big Wheel, one for the ghost-pepper infused "Ghost Burger", my feelings toward the place are still mixed. The double burger was satisfying but the Ghost may as well have been a Flamethrower Burger from DQ.

BW wins out over Fatburger for my money only because there are actually places to leave the car without having to pay for parking or worry too much about the commissionaires climbing up your ass.

Speaking of other burger joints, I confess to preferring Big Wheel's fast-food style, "Get in, eat, and get the f*ck out" atmosphere to the "Come All Ye Douchebags and Rejoice" feel of Bin4.

Anonymous said...

I have been here many many times and the food has been incredable every time! Some of the dislike comments I have seen online are making me so angry and this isn't even my place! My family has been in similar business for over 30 years and I give these guys five stars!!! Great job big wheel; I'll be in tonight for the fried cheese curd and meatball sub!!!

Erin said...

Okay, finally got here and quite enjoyed it actually. While ai will always miss a good crispy onion ring, my cheeseburger was yummy and my toddler loved the fries (he's a carb boy). My husband had the regular burger and enjoyed it too. We will be back with the rest of our kids fersure.

Anonymous said...

The only good burger I've had was at the food truck parked at Corona Foods in Colwood. I had the Jalapeno bacon cheeseburger and perogies. Really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Two rivers Meats is a distributor of Pemberton Meadows beef!

Anonymous said...

you guys should try out Mafia Burger

Safety Cult said...

I want so much to like this place but...the first time I was there it was satisfactory (but not great). The second time sealed the deal. I won't go back. The meat of our burgers was so dried out I couldn't believe it. They were busy and I feel like I got the patties that were forgotten on the warming grill for, like, an hour. So so dry! Like, crunchy dry on the edges and sad sad dry in the middle. For burgers in Cook Street Village I'll stick with the Beagle.
(I hear Bubby's burgers are good too).

Lindsay McQueen said...

We were expecting something...different in the local offerings, and a lot more for what we paid for. The shakes are great, homemade style, but the burger patty itself is quite salty. Not sure if it was overseasoned, but hopefully they will be successful as any support of local products is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I was expecting a good quality fast food burger, got the double cheese burger and it sure delivered. I've been to big wheel maybe 10 times now and each bite takes me back to when I was 5 years old at Fudruckers... Anyone remember that place in their childhood days? For those who compare bigwheel to bin 4 and pink bicycle, figure it out! Two different styles of burgers... Try their cheese burger and tell me it better.. You can't! Big wheel hits the spot each time for sure.