Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pluto's | 1150 Cook Street | 250.385.4747

Beef Burger
$10
add $1 each for cheese and bacon



What we have here is an anomaly: a diner that proudly advertises a lean burger. And not just any lean burger: a burger so lean that, even with a little pink, it still manages to be drier than dreads. You see, generally, the advantage of a burger with a little pink in it is the juiciness factor. Here, however, no such luck.

Back in 2004 a Times Colonist tasting panel rated Pluto's burgers as third best in the city (falling in behind Fairfield Fish and Chips and Milestones). Pluto's also received an honorable mention in the reader's choice write-in poll. I'm not prepared to give it the same ranking. The bun is a nice, soft number, but that's where the joy ends. The charbroiled patty is of average quality taste-wise, and lacks the juiciness, or the good accompanying condiment which would overcome the ho-hummery (just a smattering of mayo adorns the bun here). Other elements such as bacon and cheese are not memorable enough to mention. Like so many other burgers in Victoria, this one just isn't worth talking much about.

VERDICT: Not top ten, not bottom ten, not notable.

2 comments:

YRS said...

I never got beyond the disappointingly pedestrian breakfasts (and horrendous service) at Pluto's; however, I think I ate a burger there about 20 years ago. Not sure. Obviously if I did, it never left an impression.

Thanks for reminding me why I never go there anymore.

dk said...

Service was aight for me. This was my first trip to Pluto's in nearly seven years. On my last trip I had a nearly inedible lasagna, so this was at least a step up from that.