Friday, September 24, 2010

Willows Galley Redux


Willows called and I answered. A couple weeks ago the new manager at Willows Galley, using the tantalizing information that supermarket quality beef had been kicked out the door, endeavoured to lure me back to this Estevan Village eatery. Yes beef from Slater's is now employed in this unit, but not in the way it should be.

I wasn't paying close attention to the kitchen, so I can't confirm my suspicions, but this patty was almost definitely pre-frozen. There's no other way to explain the texture and the confounding lack of dynamism. Pretty disappointing as I have enjoyed other burgers made with meat from Slater's.

It's been over two years since I last visited Willows, but I can say with some certainty that the rest of the unit hasn't changed much. There is possibly a new bun supplier, but if there has been a change, it's minor. The main condiments are still burger relish and mayo, and they still work well in this unit. Unfortunately the beef remains the weak link. If they are indeed using frozen, a switch to fresh would instantly remedy this situation. Much like it was two years ago, this burger is just a step away from being an excellent take-out option.

VERDICT: If you're not a little league ballpark burger stand, you have no business using pre-frozen beef (or anything that tastes like it).

No comments: