Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Reef Caribbean Restaurant | 533 Yates Street | 250.388.JERK | www.thereefrestaurant.com

Mo-Ca Burger
$12



To mangle a line from an infamous fake person, "I know it's been a long time since I rapped at ya, but breakfast's at 7:00pm these days, and shit's gone all topsy turvy." Ya, so apologies for neglecting you pretty people for so many weeks, hopefully I'll be back in a regular burger-munching rhythm soon.


So the Reef eh? Despite some of this burger's quirks, I think it's still one of my preferred options in the city. The give and take in this package starts with the patty; although it's texture is perhaps a tad mealy, the flavour is peppery and pleasant (it's jerk seasoned) and blends well with what I assume was a house made jerk aioli (which is a thousand times better than the essentially dumbed down version—chili aioli and bbq sauce—that other restaurants use as a condiment mix).

The second condiment adorning the patty is a fresh tomato salsa. Nestled underneath the salsa is a slice of grilled pineapple. I have an inkling that the pineapple might be more effective as part of the salsa, as on its own as a meaty chunk it takes the balance of this unit a little off track.

The last point to be made is on the bun:burger ratio: it ain't perfect, but I'll let it slide. Although it's a tad large, the mouth-feel of the Portugese bun couples well with the rest of the burger elements (including the mega-melty provolone). All right, so that's all I have to say about this one. I hope you all missed me, but in reality I'm sure you've been busy weather-stripping your homes, or doing whatever people that don't eat cheeseburgers for breakfast do around this time of year.



Jimmy Nguyen "Blissed Out" Chime In!!!!!!


I couldn't decide whether or not the football shape of the bun is a good thing or a bad thing, as the patty is a regular round one; I was nevertheless fascinated, as this is an interesting change from the conventional burger.

The burger has an interesting zing to it. The patty was well cooked and well seasoned with exotic flavours. The slice of pineapple adds an interesting burst of juiciness into the burger, and is well held in its place by a layer of cheese which is melded nicely to the patty.

On their own, none of the ingredients were outstanding. But when assembled together, they create a nice blend that triggers all taste buds. It was really a dish that takes you all the way to the Caribbean, or perhaps I was simply hearing the ocean waves inside my head.

VERDICT: Worth a look despite faults that might fell other burgers.