Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reader Report | Bob's Restaurant | 3307 Cowichan Lake Road | Duncan B.C. | 250.748.6141


Editor's note: Back in June I asked for some reader help in determining whether or not the Big Bob Burger in Duncan was worth a road trip. Now thanks to Matthew Macalister, we have an answer, and that answer appears to be "no, not really". Thanks Matt!


I noticed that in June you asked for a recent picture of the Big Bob burger to determine whether it is worth making the trip to try it. I frequently visit my parents in Duncan and yesterday I took the opportunity to go to Bob's and sample the burger in question.

If size is your only requirement for making the trip to Duncan then the Big Bob most likely deserves a trip. If, however, quality is also a factor I would recommend a pass on this one. While many of the elements that make a good burger are present the quality of those elements is sadly lacking. I was pleased to see that mushrooms, cheese and bacon, iceberg lettuce and tomatoes come standard and the only condiment appears to be either mayo or some mild house sauce (Hard to tell, it could simply have been a huge amount of grease mixed with mayo that made it appear to be a sauce of sorts). The biggest issue with the burger is probably the "bun" used to contain these ingredients along with the two enormous beef patties. It is half a french loaf. This was not a good choice as a bun as it was far to large to fit into one's mouth and was very prone to becoming soggy.

While I cannot say that the Big Bob is bad value at $8.95 I still would not recommend it to any but the very hungry and broke.

12 comments:

Trevor G. said...

I'm going inot Sooke this reading break; so I'm going to try and hit up The Edge on Tuesday (along with Homer's). Hopefully I'll get a few pics and let you know how both of the joints are (alrady been to Homer's and it's good. I'll also se if Father's is open still. I heard they did a burger that was not-so-great, but hey, I'll see for myself.

dk said...

Fuuuuuuck I'm jelouus.

dk said...

wow I just realised I am really horrible at spelling jealous

fuck that was embarassing

Trevor G. said...

Missed Sooke (Edge and Homer's) on reading break, but I'm hitting it up this weekend. I haven't had a hamburger in almost 2 months... I'm jonesing. I'll make sure to take some pics and try to talk to Edward Tuson (apparently the guy who owns the Edge). Maybe a reader's post will be bound as soon as you sp it. Also, I've totally disregarded The Office Lounge downtown. So many places have come and gone, but they seem to be trying to cater to the yuppie and student crowds. They have a $10 burger night (and a pretty good website); so maybe they have a burger worth looking at? Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

This site doesn't state truth.

Anonymous said...

Hey! my comment was deleted ! I was simply stating that i have been a customer at bob's restaurant for several years and I have had several Big Bob Burgers and never have I not gotten relish, mayo , onions, lettuce ,tomatoes,bacon,cheese,mushrooms,pickles, I should also mention a generous portion of onion rings,fries...my choice, for the same price, I am thinking that this Matt guy must have ordered less condiments,which makes this a really bad bunch of untrue reporting......

dk said...

I can assure you I didn't delete your original comment, because I only noticed it in my inbox about 3 minutes ago. Doesn't look like you deleted it by accident, so I'll have to assume it was some sort of blogger glitch. I apologise if you believe you were being censored in any way.

It should be noticed this is a burger review site, and not a restaurant review site. Although this is a review not written by an official blog writer/correspondent, it does follow our general rule of more or less ignoring sides and service unless they are particularly excellent or atrocious.

I understand this could be viewed as unfair, but please realise this is a burger-centric blog, not a restaurant centric-blog. Just because a burger gets a bad review, doesn't necessarily mean the restaurant that serves it sucks.

As for truthfulness of this Reader Report; upon blowing up the picture it does appear to be just mayo on the bottom bun.

In answer to your original comment: yah the picture sucks, but so do most of the pictures of this website; recently I have bought a new digi-cam which will hopefully solve this issue when it comes to more official postings.

When it comes right down it, no one else has sent me any info on this burger, and I figured something was better than nothing. I think the review is probably a lot more muted and fair than it could have been considering this burger is served on fucking half a french loaf? Who the hell would think that's a good idea?

Anonymous said...

Wow! you really are an arrogant youngster, I guess this will somehow be mysteriously lost as well.
Seems that you missed my point totally. I am involved in a social network as well. That would be the only reason I wasted any time at your profane site.I wil pass this on to my colleagues in victoria.

dk said...

just checked the original "information needed" post and (what I assume is) your original comment is still there, was there another comment that I didn't see?

I felt my response was pretty measured. If you feel that strongly about this burger, you are free to send in your own pictures and review (providing you are not affiliated with Bob's Restaurant) and I'll post them. Actually even if you are affiliated I guess I wouldn't mind posting an official retort, providing it is not given anonymously.

Thanks for reading.

Jollibee Food Corporation said...

Well, that burger looks so yummy. Wish I can also go there and have a taste of it myself. Anyway, I've been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.



-megan-

dmanaussie said...

Hi I'm a big fan, just started a burger blog myself actually, nothing like yours though....maybe you can take a look and let me know what you think??

http://dmanburger.wordpress.com/

meg said...

Trevor G. mentioned The Office burger. I had the beef burger, it was decent, but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't order it again. Soggy bun situation from the pickle sitting on the bun, the side salad was sopping with dressing...the fries though? their fries are AMAZING.