Saturday, June 14, 2008

Joey's Only Seafood Restaurant, 130-1416 Island Hwy, Campbell River, B.C - - (250) 287-4482

Editor's Note:

Please enjoy what I hope will be the first of many Campbell River reports from regular contributor Guy Alaimo....

And let the argument over what counts as a burger to begin! (Hint: vege-burgers don't count, and chicken is borderline).





Joeys Only "Fish Sandwich"
$7.99


On May 30th, I arrived in Campbell River to start my summer, and the first place I ended up dining at was Joey's Only Seafood Restaurant in the brand new Discovery Plaza on Pier Street. I ordered the three piece fish and chips meal, which may have been the best fish and chips I have ever eaten in my life, which is amazing considering the type of fish they use is Alaskan pollack. The use of pollack instead of cod or haddock is enough to explain why the price was so cheap, barely eclipsing the ten dollar mark, but the great taste was even more of a surprise. It must be the way they batter and fry the fish that makes it so great.



Anyways I had no idea that I would again be seeing a piece of that great tasting fish in my fish burger, and not on a plate along with an order of chips.



As you can see in the photo above, the "Fish Sandwich" is basically a piece of traditional fried fish on a long french roll with Joey's Only signature tartar sauce, sliced romaine lettuce and tomato. It came with a choice of side ranging from honey bourbon beans and garlic toast, to onion rings and french fries. I ordered onion rings, but they also gave me an order of garlic parsley potatoes by mistake.



The fish itself tasted the way it did before; excellent, and it was even better on a buttery french roll that was dripping with tartar. The crispiness of the batter just compliments the thin fish patty so well, and the tartar gives it a classic taste. I think the only downfall of this burger, or sorry, "fish sandwich", is the narrowness of the fish patty. I know it's just a piece of fish, but I thought this sandwich could have been even better if they used thicker pieces of fish; however, when all is said and done, you cant beat the value. You can get a nice fish sandwich along with a unique side dish thats piping hot for under eight bucks, and when you compare that with other food chains fish burgers, the value is undeniably here at Joey's Only.

No comments: